The Reef Trust Phase 3 Water Quality Incentive Grants are a new program designed to give financial assistance to help growers adopt more sustainable practices.
Second round opens 26 February-27 April
The second (and final) round of these grants is open until 27 April 2018. If you're interested in applying please register your interest (see link at the bottom of this page) or contact your local WTSIP Extension Officer.2.
Water Quality Projects
A total of $1.2 million is available for this round. Your project must show a benefit to water quality. Successful projects are to be completed by June 2019.3.
Single Farm or Multi Farm Applications
Up to $25,000 for single farm applications and up to $80,000 for multi-farm applications (2 or more).
Are you eligible?
In order to apply for a grant you must:
- Have an ABN
- Own or manage a cane property in one of the Wet Tropics river catchments or be a contractor providing services to such managers
- Be able to contribute a 50% co-investment for all projects as cash and/or in-kind
- Have met all obligations for any previously funded projects
- Work with a WTSIP Extension Officer on benchmarking and mapping requirements
- Complete the Smartcane BMP self-assessment
What projects are eligible
- Projects are those that result in the adoption of practices outlined in the 'moderate to low risk' and 'lowest risk' columns of the Paddock to Reef Sugarcane Water Quality Risk Framework.
What is NOT eligible?
Some examples of things that will be not funded are:
- Upgrades to existing equipment that do not result in a practice change
- Replacement of existing old equipment
- Purchase of tractors, farm vehicles or fuel
- High-rise spray machines
- Insecticide equipment (eg confidor tanks)
- Operating & maintenance that are normal responsibilities for the management of a property
What to do next
- Read the grants guidelines
- Register your interest
- Contact your local WTSIP Extension Officer to discuss possible projects. They will also be able to assist you with the benchmarking and mapping that are required as part of your application.
- Complete the Smartcane BMP self-assessment, if you haven't already done so.